Monday, November 23, 2009

5.

When I open my eyes I realize my nose is actually running. For a second, I really wonder if my brain is spilling down my nose. It's probably just a cold. Probably. I dig inside my pockets for anything to wipe my nose, but I find only a bus transfer and a receipt. I figure I might end up needing the bus transfer, so it looks like it's down to the receipt. This is not going to help my image. I blow my nose with the receipt and immediately hear a groan of disgust come from the woman. Her jaw drops, not suddenly or with any great speed, but slowly. Like the lowering of a portcullis. The edges of her mouth twist in vile agony. She looks like a grumpy Jack-O-Lantern. It is Halloween in a month. But let me tell you, for as fucked up as I am, I try not to be an utter asshole. I don't wanna leave my snotty crumbled receipt on the bus for this good hard working metro man to pick up. So I do the decent thing and shove it back in my pocket. The portcullis drops further. She probably thinks I want to save it. She is definitely including this in her story.